Bear Claw Cake – Low Carb, Keto, Gluten Free
Moist, delicious, low carb, gluten free Bear Claw Cake is a thing at my house now. I dreamt it up one day while reminiscing about my old trips to Panera (back when my body was one of those fancy gluten processing places). I remember the taste so well. The sweet crunch of the almonds and icing made me feel like the world was a happy place. I wanted to taste that again so despite my gluten issues and carb avoidance, I invented a Bear Claw Cake with almond pastry filling.
Thanks to Swerve sweetener, I can eat a glorious version of Bear Claws again with no blood sugar spike, no tummy distress. Seriously, Swerve it isn’t like the “old school” sweeteners that may have scared you away in the past. I have to eat gluten free and I choose to eat low carb most of the time so Swerve has been a wonderful discovery for me.
If you dodge carbs and gluten is your Kryptonite, I feel you and I outright adore you. I wish you lived next door and I could just pop over and hand you a slice of Bear Claw cake…and a Bear Hug (too much?!). 😀
Put half the batter down then layer the Almond Pastry Filling on top and cover with remaining batter. Yum! Please Note: Many almond brands have a cross contamination wheat warning so make sure you check labels. I found Fisher brand did not have a wheat warning so I purchased Fischer sliced almonds.
Sign up for our newsletter and hang out with us as we dream up all our favorites and make life ahhhmazing.
Keeps refrigerated for several days nicely.
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cup Swerve Granulated sweetener
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp pure almond extract
- Zest of 1 small navel orange
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup naturally sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup Swerve Confectioners sweetener
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- ½ cup Swerve confectioners sugar, sifted
- 1 ½ tbsp water
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup sliced almonds - for sprinkling on top of the glaze
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the cake: In a large mixing bowl, beat softened butter, cream cheese, and granulated Swerve sweetener with an electric mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in almond extract & orange zest and set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl add almond flour, baking powder and salt and stir until combined. Gradually add to cream cheese mixture, beating well.
- For the Almond Pastry Filling: Pulse sliced almonds in a food processor or blender until it resembles fine crumbs.
- Pour pulsed almonds into bowl and add confectioners sweetener, melted butter, almond extract, and egg white and stir until well mixed.
- Spoon half of the cream cheese batter into a 9x9 square baking pan lined with parchment paper and top with the Almond Pastry filling, then top with the remaining batter.
- Bake for approximately 35 minutes or until nicely set and golden brown. Allow to cool then top with glaze and sprinkle with sliced almonds. You can toast the almonds if you like but it is not necessary.
- For the glaze: Sift Swerve Confectioners sweetener into medium size bowl. Add water and vanilla extract and mix until smooth. Drizzle over cake and top with almonds. Allow glaze to set, then refrigerate uneaten cake, covered with saran wrap. You can easily double the glaze if you want more, I just wanted a pretty little drizzle. Posted by ToTemptation.com April 20, 2018.