Cheesecake with Buttered Pecan Crust & Sour Cream Topping – Low Carb, Keto, Gluten Free
Omg. I know I have to say something more than that to be legit as a food blogger but seriously, this is major. My husband’s Auntie Mare used to make the most delicious desserts. One of our family favorites was her cheesecake. Now that I can’t eat gluten and we avoid carbs as much as possible, I thought cheesecake was out for me. I tweaked the old recipe and dreamt up a new crust option since traditional graham crackers aren’t low carb or gluten free. Enter this recipe with the buttered pecan crust (what genius thought that up? Oh, right…it was ME!) 🙂 , and all is chipper in our low carb, gluten free household.
I have quite a few of the Golden Girls seasons on DVD. I don’t know what it is about those crazy, cute old ladies, but I feel safe and comforted when they are on my TV. Before you ask, “Hey are you 100”? No, I just love those ladies. What’s not to love? There is the sass, the humor, the friendship, but also – I get a kick out of their cheesecake habit. They are always up in the middle of the night raiding the fridge and busting out the cheesecake. I love the thought that my hubby and I could meet up for a sweet midnight nosh when this is in our fridge. I adore that guy and I often refer to him as my little Italian Nonna (because of his mad cooking skills), so he can easily fill in for Sophia Petrillo in my fantasy.
So go ahead and enjoy this cheesecake at midnight whether you have blood sugar or gluten issues and in total Golden Girls style, thank you for being a friend. That spectacular theme song might just be in your head all day. 🙂
Unbaked Buttered Pecan Crust
The gorgeous pour!
Note: Cheesecake will likely crack during cooling. Don’t worry. You would never know it since the sour cream topping covers it beautifully! This delicious topping completely avoids the need for a water bath while cooking.
With Swerve sweetener, we didn’t have to worry about the old sweetener issue of stomach distress. Swerve didn’t cause any of us any discomfort. We tested this recipe on people that weren’t gluten free or low carb and the response was excellent. “I can’t tell a difference between this cheesecake and the regular cheesecake”, one person said. “I like this crust better than the old graham cracker crust”, said another. “This is low carb and gluten free? You should sell this cheesecake” was possibly my favorite comment – said by a retired professional baker.
Low Carb, Keto, Gluten Free Cheesecake.
- 1 ½ cups finely ground pecans (I just used my Vitamix to grind up chopped pecans until fine)
- ¼ cup Swerve granulated sweetener
- 6 tbsp butter (melted)
- 3 – 8oz packages of cream cheese (softened)
- 4 – extra-large eggs
- 1 cup Swerve granulated sweetener
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz sour cream
- ¼ cup Swerve granulated sweetener
- 2 tsp clear imitation vanilla extract (The reasoning for using clear imitation vanilla is so that your topping stays white. You don’t want to use brown vanilla in the topping)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Crust: Combine crust ingredients (finely ground pecans, sweetener, and butter), and spread/press into 9inch springform pan, going slightly up the sides. Place springform pan on top of a cookie sheet, the cake will leak some clear liquid during baking so don’t skip this step. Set cookie sheet aside.
- Filling: In a large mixing bowl, prepare filling by mixing the softened cream cheese with an electric mixer. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add sweetener and vanilla and mix well.
- Bake for 50 – 60 minutes or until set.
- Let cool for 30 minutes.
- Topping: In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients (sour cream, sweetener, and clear vanilla), and stir until smooth. Top cheesecake and chill 8 hours or overnight. Submitted by: ToTemptation.com on 3-18-18
Our cheesecake kept beautifully in the fridge for 3 days (at which point it was gone!).
This cheesecake was super low carb and played beautifully with my blood sugar levels.