Crustless Cheeseburger Pie – Gluten Free, Low Carb
I missed fast food. I know, I know, but when you can’t have something you miss it that much more. We decided to try our hand at a low carb Cheeseburger Pie and, thankfully, it turned out much better than any fast food burger I’ve ever had. It is insanely good. We developed this tangy, creamy, “secret sauce” that is both divine and simple. My husband and I couldn’t stop raving about this meal and we both ran back for seconds (even our dog Bean had seconds…and thirds of the ground beef). If you miss fast food but can’t have it because of the carbs or gluten, you have got to make this. You won’t even miss the bun.
It is filling with the bed of lettuce shreds and tomatoes that you serve it with. It didn’t jack my blood sugars like fast food yet I was just as satisfied. I’d call that impressive!
Did I mention I’m down 23 pounds and my husband is down 34 pounds? We eat this way, along with an exercise plan and lots of fresh veggies, to avoid gluten & carbs (because of my health issues), lose weight, and enjoy unbelievable flavors. I didn’t think it was possible either but here we are. I hope you enjoy this meal as much as we did. Thanks for stopping by To Temptation!
Crustless Cheeseburger Pie
- 1lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup ketchup (Use no sugar added to make things even lower carb or any gluten free ketchup if worried about gluten. We used Heinz regular ketchup and it still turned out low in carbs per serving)
- 2 Tbsp prepared yellow mustard
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp dill pickle relish or Vienna Brand Chicago relish (we used Vienna Chicago relish since it is marked gluten free, thanks Vienna!)
- 16oz medium cheddar cheese, shredded
- Serving Suggestion: Serve over lettuce shreds with freshly sliced tomatoes & a couple of strips of fully cooked bacon – It rivals a Big Mac or Bacon Cheeseburger any day!
- In a large skillet, cook & crumble ground beef with onions, salt and pepper until fully browned and cooked through and onions are translucent.
- Turn Broiler on Low
- In small bowl, mix together ketchup, mustard & mayonnaise to create your “secret sauce” and set aside.
- In a 12 inch, non-stick, broiler safe skillet spread prepared “secret sauce” on bottom of pan. Top with cooked ground beef/onion mixture. Scatter pickle relish on top of the beef mixture and top with cheddar cheese. Push down on the cheddar cheese firmly to press ingredients together.
- Place cheeseburger pie into broiler for about 3 minutes, check for desired browning of cheese every minute after that to ensure that pie does not burn. The cheese can go from brown to black in no time!
- Remove from broiler and set aside for about 20 minutes to allow it to cool enough to slice. Slice with a stiff silicone spatula so you don’t ruin your pan.
Place lettuce shreds on a plate, top with sliced tomatoes and a slice of Cheeseburger Pie (Bacon is also delicious if you wish). Enjoy! 8 servings = 6.1 net carbs per serving Posted By: To Temptation 3-11-18
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Carbohydrate 6.1||2%|
|Vitamin A||Vitamin C|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.