Lemon Cream Cheese Pound Cake – Low Carb, Gluten Free
I want dessert. I have lived with Type 1 diabetes for nearly two and a half decades and I cannot eat gluten. You know what, though? I can, and should, be able to have my cake and eat it too. With the amazing new sweeteners available today, it is possible and delicious with nary a blip in my blood sugars. Did I also mention I’m down 24lbs and my husband is down 34? We eat gluten free and mainly low carb and pack in our exercise and veggies each week, but we don’t suffer. Boy, do we not suffer.
I wanted an easy, quick bread type of cake and I was against crazy recipe techniques like whipping your eggs for 10 straight minutes (who has time or energy for that?!), to get a good fluffy cake. With my ingredient ratios and technique, I didn’t need that at all. I wasn’t sure what to expect while it was in the oven but the end result was a fluffy, super moist cake that puffed up nicely and wasn’t at all hard to throw together.
Have a craving for some lemon cream cheese pound cake? Here you go. Indulge, enjoy, love yourself and live a little…all while keeping those blood sugars happy.
- Lemon Pound Cake:
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 6oz cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cup Swerve granulated sweetener
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp pure lemon extract
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup Swerve confectioners sugar, sifted
- 3 tbsp half-n-half
- ½ tsp pure lemon extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat softened butter, cream cheese, and sweetener with an electric mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon extract.
- In medium size bowl add almond flour, baking powder, and salt and stir until combined. Gradually add to cream cheese mixture, beating well.
- Spoon into loaf pan lined with parchment paper. Bake for 45 – 55 minutes or until nicely set and golden brown. Allow to cool then top with glaze, if desired.
- Glaze: Sift confectioners sugar into a medium size bowl. Add half-n-half and lemon extract and mix until smooth. Pour over cake. Refrigerate uneaten cake, covered with saran wrap. Posted by ToTemptation on 3-25-18
I liked the cake even without glaze while hubby loved the glaze. Either way, it is insanely moist, delicious, and low carb/gluten free friendly. Hubby double checked with me when he ate a piece “This is seriously low carb”? I know, hard to believe – but yes!