Nacho Burrito Bowls – Low Carb, Gluten Free
This meal is like Taco Bell at home, only waaay lower in carbs! There are 10 carbs per bowl, but a typical burrito clocks in at much more than that. I love this for a comforting meal and I don’t need a heck of a lot of insulin to cover it (I’ve had Type 1 diabetes for more than 24 years). If you are comfortable adding carbs, add a couple of crushed up tortilla chips on top. It is ridiculously good either way.
While we don’t think that the cheese dip is at all healthy, we do recognize that with lean beef and lots of veggies (hello cauliflower rice!), it is a lot better than our former trips to “The Border”. It is one of those guilty pleasures that reminds you of eating fast food. These days we cannot indulge in fast food due to the gluten risk so this is a lifesaver.
This burrito bowl layers a beefy, cheesy dip over a bed of cauliflower rice for a nice hearty meal.
- 1lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 medium green bell peppers, diced
- 2 small jalapenos (or 1 large), seeded and diced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp Adobo with cumin – Goya Brand (be careful not to go over, this Adobo is salty. You can always add less if you wish to cut the salt, but this amount was perfection to us.)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp Ancho chili powder
- ½ tsp Hot Mexican chili powder
- ½ tsp thyme leaves
- ½ tsp white pepper
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 16 oz jar Cheese Dip (We used Great Value brand. It is marked gluten free at the time of this post)
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, washed and riced in a food processor
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Add ground beef, diced onion, diced bell peppers, diced jalapenos (with seeds removed), to a large skillet and add all spices.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until browned and crumbled and no longer pink.
- Add cheese dip and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Saute cauliflower rice in a separate skillet with 1 tbsp of olive oil for about 10 minutes over medium heat, until tender. We don’t recommend salting the cauliflower since the cheese & beef mixture already contains salt.
- Top cauliflower rice with cheesy nacho beef mixture and enjoy!